Saturday, October 21, 2006

My Saturday in New Mexico...

Well...I am off to San Francisco for the work week, so I am going to take a quick blog break to bring you this...

please enjoy more adventures in The Land of Enchantment...

We start the day at Starbuck's...every day must start with Starbuck's...Violet, I did notice they had blueberry muffins, but I got pumpkin...





Wowzer...Check out Camel Rock...awesome...look at his humps. I said humps. His lovely camel humps.


Next...We went to Chimayo, New Mexico, to the Santuario Catholic Church, a popular place known for its healing dirt...Go google it, I don't know anything more. I attended mass, so leave me alone...


Any church that has a horse that likes me is my kinda place...
Extreme closeup! This dude liked me...



This is one of two rooms in the church that has shrines for people to pay homage to their sick or deceased loved ones...

This is the healing dirt, with a scoop so you can take some home...wonder if it clears acne...
Three random crosses in the church yard.


Next...We went to Abiquiu, New Mexico, a Spanish-grant-owned town in which my paternal great grandmother and aunt and her family lived...while there, we visited the local historian...this place is also the home of the famous artist, Georgia O'Keeffe...


Here is a spooky graveyard, and a few long-lost relatives of mine...

The one with the cross and overturned flowers is actually unmarked...how sad...
Poor Billy Lopez...too bad I didn't get a share of the inheritance. I might have scored a free horse or adobe shack...

The storyteller guy shared his version of La Llorona. A tale that still haunts me from childhood...however, his was a tad different from the one I heard from my maternal side of family...Enjoy!




My version of La Llorona (as told to me years ago by my late uncle Jim):

There was a beautiful woman whom was married to some guy. He adored her beauty, and kissed the ground she walked on. Then they had a baby girl. After the baby was born, the husband's attention drifted to the baby, and soon she was not as important to him. She drowned her baby in the Rio Grande, and then the husband left her. Now at night, she walks along the river crying for her baby, feeling sorry for herself that she can't find her baby so she can win her husband back...


Spooky!

12 Comments:

Blogger JM said...

Have a good time in San Francisco. And have a safe trip.

10:47 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

When, in a few 100/1000 years the head of the Camel Rock falls off it will look like a turtle. Turtle Rock - how does that sound??? ;)

5:20 AM PDT  
Blogger Big Mama said...

You have such a great life!!! Keep the travels and pics coming! First Doogie, now this! We are sooo lucky!

8:49 AM PDT  
Blogger Jay Noel said...

Whoa...that story is very spooky!!!!

4:06 PM PDT  
Blogger mkecurler said...

Thanks for sharing that story. Photos are amazing. Have fun out in SF. Be sure to have lunch at House of Nanking. IT ROCKS!!!!

8:05 PM PDT  
Blogger Phats said...

That Camel was awesome!! how cute are your parents?!

9:12 PM PDT  
Blogger jamwall said...

La Llorona the Musical!

4:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Steven said...

Damn...you've always got so much GOIN ON!!

Thanks for making me feel like a bum... ;)

Steve~

9:51 AM PDT  
Blogger Cinderella said...

I'm sorry I couldn't take my mind off of the pumpkin muffin..YUMM!!

Be safe =)

11:46 AM PDT  
Blogger Design Goddess said...

your parents are so lovely!

If you find out that dirt cures acne you had better send me a pail! :)

6:45 PM PDT  
Blogger Violet said...

Ahhhh.... more evidence of the blueberry muffin conspiracy in my hometown....

I would try the muffin, but the whole "cream cheese" filling kind of scares me.

11:31 AM PDT  
Blogger BUMBLE!!! said...

It's so fookin' cold here... damn, I wish I was there.

Have a great time whereva the hell you happen to be at when this comment reaches you!!

8:48 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

car show
Free Counters
car show