Thursday, September 08, 2005

Valley of the Dirt People

My first week of blogging, I noticed the term "Carnies" a lot.

I read, "Thank goodness I only saw a few carnies there,"
and
"We went to the park and there were carnies all over the place."
I had to ask this guy what a Carnie was.


Picture this...Los Angeles.

In Los Angeles, a person reading about Carnies think:
A)I saw someone grilling carne asada
B)Carnie Wilson was spotted at the Coffee Tea and Leaf on Sunset.

In other parts of the US, it means these guys...
Traveling circus nuts who set up shop in church parking lots with tons of rides and cotton candy. A bearded lady, but it is not on purpose.
Where you can pop a balloon with a dart and win an image of Britney Spears etched into a mirror with a cardboard frame.

Or anyone that sucks. Or has a beard growing where it shouldn't.


Ohhhh...we call them 909ers..
Don't believe me? In California? Land of the beautiful? No way...

it won't let me link but the address, but it is www.valleyofthedirtpeople.com
We call it the Inland Empire.
The rap stations here have tried to disguise it by calling it the IE.

Its called the 90951.

The 909 area code grew so big so fast(as typically trailer parks do) they added the area code 951. 90951.

About 10 years ago, people migrated to the 909
(San Bernadino,Riverside, Rancho Cuchomungo, Ontario, Covina) to buy a houses under 300k.
"We will just commute!"
"Steve, Honey, the money we saved on this 3-story ranch house, we can afford a Honda Civic and a Nissan Sentra, brand new, to drive us 60 miles each way into our jobs in the OC!"
There you have it, folks. Fontana, CA. We don't call it Fontucky for nothing...
It won't let me link,
www.fontucky.com/about.htm
Carnies know no bounderies...Next stop, Fresno, California.

24 Comments:

Blogger Phats said...

Carnies are really popular in these neck of the woods. Most of them have no teeth, are fat, smell, and smoke while operating the tilt a whirl. Now you tell me do you really feel safe riding those things knowing that these people put them together?! Although the zipper is totally worth the risk.

Thanks for the lesson, come to Indiana during the summer and you can hit all the county fairs and the carnies will hit on you left and right.

12:00 AM PDT  
Blogger LBseahag said...

Is Gareth up, yet? WAKE UP, SLACKER.
btw..what r u still doing up?


I have laundry in the wash...sucks...

I would rather have the new, svelte Carnie on my ride, the Tortilla Twist...

12:03 AM PDT  
Blogger Phats said...

I couldn't sleep got up and updated my dumb blog trying to figure out how to add a sound, so I just linked it cuz I am lame. I have to get up in like 3.5 hrs so I best be going to bed.

you wanna do my laundry next?

12:11 AM PDT  
Blogger Phats said...

HELLO!?! My laundry is not doing itself here.

12:15 AM PDT  
Blogger LBseahag said...

"You got my laundry done, beeotch?"

That is the scream of a carnie, I mean 909er somewhere on Havilland Ave off the 10 Freeway in Rancho Cuchamonga...

12:25 AM PDT  
Blogger Spinning Girl said...

I am so moving there!
It's fun learning about other states' yucky places. Maybe I'll do a post about Bridgeport, CT.

2:37 AM PDT  
Blogger Bobby said...

You know I am having issues with where to move next.

Now I have another place to check out, heh heh.

4:06 AM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Is someone calling me a slacker? Now i'm up ....... where is everyone. Geez what a bunch of sleepy heads. I'm going to start a petition - the world should have one single time zone. Who wants to sign it?

5:00 AM PDT  
Blogger DaMasta said...

Here in H-town, we got a place called Deer Park. It's like the largest trailer park in texas i think. I have to do more research.

TO THE BAT CAVE!

6:14 AM PDT  
Blogger LBseahag said...

Bridgeport...isn't that where they make lunch meat?

Glad everyone can relate...

Cupcake, why are St. Screwus-ers so touchy????

I vote for one time zone...i am the last to go to sleep, and last to get up, and it sucks...the only one who is on 24-7 is pastsydarling.

7:24 AM PDT  
Blogger Design Goddess said...

I think I'm going to quit school so I can devote my life to blogging. So, LB, you'll have a friend online 24/7. You'll never be lonely in blogworld again!

7:44 AM PDT  
Blogger Design Goddess said...

PS Carnies (of all kinds) scare me along with their "pseudo" pink panther stuffed animals and etched mirrors of White Snake!

7:45 AM PDT  
Blogger LBseahag said...

Design, do it. I think I am gonna quit my job...

i get uneasy, when i am in a meeting, and the only thing I can think about is reading Verbal Vomit...

8:33 AM PDT  
Blogger LBseahag said...

White Snake...I love it...
I once went to Cheyenne Frontier Days and got a Lita Ford etched glass...wish I still had it...

8:34 AM PDT  
Blogger DaMasta said...

My Computer Schedule: 8am-5pm Central Standard Time.

I live for finding new blogs.

I actually do shit for people in my family that don't have internet at work.

For example, I'm being paid $20 a hit for websites that could help Krazy K [my lil sis] get a scholarship for college.

9:45 AM PDT  
Blogger LBseahag said...

I am making a peanut an hour to search for smut that will go on my site!

10:30 AM PDT  
Blogger kris said...

Hey! I own a Sentra!

Maybe I'm a DC carnie . . .

10:56 AM PDT  
Blogger Phats said...

haha design goddess you rock that is so every carnie in the midwest!

Carnies drive broken down winnebagos

11:10 AM PDT  
Blogger LBseahag said...

guess there is nothing else for the caries to do in St L but to be unintelligent...

design, you rock...freedom rock.

phats...are you still here?

kris do dc carnies abandon randoms bags around the city?

11:54 AM PDT  
Blogger Design Goddess said...

I can't even GET the internet at work. That's why I can't comment as much. My job sucks! :( Guess that's also why I'm in school to become the next great desginer. I'll have my own line at Target in no time!!!

I have a confession...I used to play with the Carnies' kids whenever the festival came to my church. Only b/c I lived in the "Holy Corner." If you imagine a square, my house would be at the lower right corner, the convent lower left corner, the church upper left corner and the priests' house upper right corner. How can you be bad when you've got all that "good" around you?! You can't! They snitched on us all the time!!!

word ver: mxxirpz
Mix or pees

5:07 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

jeez..i guess you really admire me then..i live down the road from fresno..

10:01 PM PDT  
Blogger Skiingred said...

This is too odd - This summer, we took a trip to Anaheim and drove through the 909. I had no idea!!!!!

10:07 AM PDT  
Blogger LBseahag said...

skiingred....next time you come to ca, stay outta the 90951 and the oc...lame!

and you down the street from fresno, get out while u can!

11:08 AM PDT  
Blogger LBseahag said...

Good...you are salvageable, Dusty....thanks for tuning in...more 909er, 661,559er
stuff on the way!

11:33 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

car show
Free Counters
car show